Condition: 8 Original Box: 8 Year: 1953
Outfit 2209W was only available for a single year, 1953, and is the only postwar Lionel set to include the 2354 New York Central's F-3 diesels in an ABA configuration. As most collectors know, only a handful of postwar F-3 ABA sets were offered by Lionel in the early 1950's and even 65 years later, each of these ABA sets remain in high demand.
For this particular outfit, all of the components have been cleaned, serviced, tested and everything work perfectly. The locomotive headlights are functional, the original horn works properly and the E-unit cycles just as designed by Lionel. Even the operating box car works as designed and the light in the caboose does illuminate.
Regarding the exterior condition, each freight car and diesel unit look superb! All items are extremely clean, look fantastic and the colors are vibrant. Additionally, all side lettering and graphics are solid and strong, free of rust and oxidation and there is no damage nor blemishes on any items. Condition of each train is in high collector quality with the range of the trains varying from 8 to almost a 9! Even the original component boxes are clean, free of writing and stains and compliment the trains.
Regarding the apologies in this set, there are only a few items to note. They include:
- The insert for the B unit box is a reproduction insert.
- The original billboards are missing the top white border.
- The print on one end of the set box is very light or faded.
- Several boxes are missing an interior flap or two and several flaps have clear tape on the interior.
- Some of the original O gauge track are missing pins and are dusty / dirty from years of non-use.
- The exterior corner tape seam on the set box is split due to aging.
- The porthole lens in the A units appear to be repro porthole lens.
Even with the above minor apologies, this set is in great condition, includes many extras usually missing from compete boxed sets and still considered a high-grade, collectable set. Don't miss this opportunity to purchase a complete F3 ABA set from the heyday of Lionel's postwar production; 1953.